Apple-Cranberry Crisp with Polenta Streusel Topping and Aleppo Marash Pepper
There's always room for dessert with this Apple-Cranberry Crisp with Polenta Streusel Topping and Aleppo Marash Pepper. The spice and the tartness makes it a nice and rustic Thanksgiving dessert you'll always look for!
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1 1/2 cups pastry flour
- 3/4 cup polenta (coarse cornmeal)*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Aleppo Marash Pepper
- 2 pounds apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Vanilla gelato or ice cream
- Toast aniseed in small skillet over medium heat until slightly darker in color, about 3 minutes. Place seeds in processor. Add next 5 ingredients; blend 5 seconds. Add butter; blend, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Drizzle egg over and stir until ingredients are evenly moistened.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl; stir to blend. Add apples and lemon juice; toss to blend. Transfer filling to 11x7x2- inch glass baking dish (or other shallow 2-quart baking dish).
- Crumble topping finely over filling. Bake dessert until apples are tender, juices bubble thickly, and topping is crisp and golden, about 1 hour. Cool 15 minutes. Serve crisp warm with gelato.
Click here to buy Aleppo Marash Pepper and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Kana Okada
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.