Grilled Eggplant With Feta and Aleppo Marash Pepper
Just when you thought that meat is the star of the grill, this Grilled Eggplant With Feta and Aleppo Marash Pepper will steal the show. This recipe is so simple with just 5 ingredients but will definitely come in elegant way when put together.
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 large or 2 small eggplants, about 2 pounds total, cut lengthwise into planks about 1 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses, or 2 tablespoons regular molasses mixed with 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo Marash pepper spice
- Build a two-level fire in your grill, which means you put all the coals on one side of the grill and leave the other side free of coals. When the flames have died down, all the coals are covered with gray ash, and the temperature is medium (you can hold your hand 6 inches above the grill for 4 to 5 seconds), you’re ready to cook.
- PREP: While the fire heats up, place [the feta, the 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and the thyme] in a medium bowl and toss gently to combine.
- GRILL: Rub the eggplant planks on both sides with the [1/4 cup of] oil, sprinkle them generously with the salt and pepper, then put them on the grill directly over the coals and cook until golden brown on the outside and translucent all the way through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. About 30 seconds before the eggplant planks come off of the grill, brush them with the pomegranate molasses. (Be careful not to overcook these, and try to maintain some rigidity, since the eggplant should not be floppy when cooked.)
- TOP: Remove the eggplant planks from the grill, put it on a platter and sprinkle evenly with the feta mixture, then sprinkle it with the Aleppo Marash pepper spice.
Click here to buy Aleppo Marash and other herbs and spices
Source: Serious Eats
Photo Credit to: Ed Anderson
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.