Sink your teeth with great pleasure into the tender goodness of this Braised Beef Short Ribs with Caramelized Onions and Baharat recipe this festive season!
- ½ cup flour (I used brown rice flour to make it wheat free)
- 2 tablespoons Baharat Spice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 – 5 pounds beef short ribs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, cut into 1/2–inch slices
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup beer
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut at an angle into 2-inch pieces
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ and position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Mix the flour, baharat, salt and pepper together. Dredge the short ribs in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and olive oil.
- Brown the ribs in batches (you don’t want to crowd the pan) for 3–4 minutes on each side.
- Remove the ribs from the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the sliced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until they are softened.
- Put the onions and the ribs in a large Dutch oven. Stir in the broth, ketchup, beer, brown sugar, vinegar, and mustard.
- Cover the pot and braise in the preheated oven for 1½ hours.
- Add the carrots and bay leaf to the pot. Cover, and put the pot back in the oven to braise for another hour, or until the meat is fork-tender.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or polenta.
Click here to buy Baharat and other herbs and spices
Source: In the kitchen with Kath
Photo Credit to: In the kitchen with Kath