Middle Eastern Chickpea and Pumpkin Salad with Feta and Baharat
This healthy and delicious Middle Eastern Chickpea and Pumpkin Salad with Feta and Baharat is so easy to make, you can do it every day. Who says flavorful food must be time-consuming? Just dig in!
- 500 g pumpkin, peeled, cut into 3 cm-thick pieces
- 400 g tin chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry with paper towel
- 3 tsp Baharat spice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp pomegranate molasses
- 4 cups picked watercress leaves or rocket
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- 80 g Persian feta
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC. In a large bowl combine the pumpkin, chickpeas, baharat and 3 teaspoons of olive oil. Season to taste and toss to combine. Spread the pumpkin and chickpeas in a single layer on an oven tray lined with baking paper (reserve the bowl). Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes until the pumpkin is golden and tender and the chickpeas are crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes to cool a little.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar and pomegranate molasses and season to taste.
- Place the watercress, tomato, onion and half the chickpeas in the reserved bowl. Add the dressing and toss gently to coat. Divide the salad between plates, top with pumpkin and the remaining chickpeas. Scatter over the feta and pomegranate seeds (if using) and serve immediately.
Click here to buy Baharat and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Brett Sargent
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.