Beef Shin Casserole with Berbere Spice and Barley Wine
Satisfy your heart's desire with Beef Shin Casserole with Berbere Spice and Barley Wine. This hearty fusion is all you need to spice up your Christmas dinner!
- 4 thick slices of beef shin on the bone
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Generous knob of butter or oil for frying
- 2 medium red onions
- 4 medium potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 1 bottle Ballards Kippered barley wine
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Berbere Spice (more or less to suit your taste)
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC/gas mark 2.
- Peel and roughly chop the vegetables so they about the same size.
- Dust the beef shin portions with the flour and fry in a heavy-bottomed frying pan for about ten minutes, turning the pieces so they are seared on both sides.
- Remove the meat from the frying pan and lay in a large casserole dish.
- Put the root vegetables into the frying pan and toss them to coat them with the remaining butter and meat juices and allow them to caramelise a little.
- Add the minced ginger, prick the cherry tomatoes and add them to the pan.
- Sprinkle the berbere on top and toss again until the contents are coated in the spice.
- Put the veggies on top of the meat in the casserole dish.
- Put the tomato puree in the frying pan and add the barley wine.
- Stir gently to deglaze the pan (that's the fancy word that means to pour some cold liquid into a very hot pan to get up all the brown bits stuck to the bottom. The brown bits are where all the flavour is!)
- Pour over the veggies and meat and cover with a lid or tin foil and put in the oven.
- Go away and do something interesting for about 4 hours.
- Check seasoning and serve.
Click here to buy Berbere and other herbs and spices
Source: Rosemary and Porkbelly
Photo Credit to: Rosemary and Porkbelly
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.