Lentil and Pickled Shallot Salad with Berbere Croutons
Enjoy a light & nutritious salad this Christmas with Lentil and Pickled Shallot Salad with Berbere Croutons. Your taste buds will surely love this tasty treat!
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 1/2 cups French Puy lentils
- 5 large shallots
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups of torn sourdough (in 1 inch x 1 inch)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Berbere Spice
- 3 handfuls baby arugula
- 1 cup picked cilantro leaves
- 1 large or 2 small golden beetroot
- 1/2 large black radish or white turnip
- 10 small red radishes or 3 small watermelon radishes
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- `1 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the lentils and add to a medium saucepan. Cover the lentils with water, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are cooked through but still crunchy, then use a mesh sieve to drain. Immediately rinse under cold water to stop the cooking and set aside to dry.
- Peel the shallots. Using a mandoline (preferable) or sharp knife, slice them as thinly as possible. Add to a small bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast for 8-10 minutes until soft and cooked through, but not browned. Remove the pan from the oven (don't turn your oven off!), push the shallots together to consolidate them, and pour over 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Slice three large, inch-thick slices of sourdough and use a sharp knife to remove the crust. Once the crust is removed, use your hands to tear off small squares that are roughly 1 inch x 1 inch. You should have about 2.5 cups of bread. Add to a mixing bowl along with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 1/2 teaspoon berbere spice or hot paprika. Mix well to coat and transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes until they are toasted brown and crunchy. Remove from the oven and cool.
- While the croutons are baking, wash and dry the beetroot, radish, and turnip. Keep the skin on (you can skip this step if the skin is worse for wear), then use a mandoline or sharp knife to slice them as thin as possible.
- For the dressing, add 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons of dijon mustard and honey each, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and 3 tablespoons olive oil to a small mixing bowl or jar with a tight fitting lid. Whisk or shake well, and set aside.
- To serve, place the lentils, sliced vegetables, shallots, arugula, cilantro, and half of the croutons in a large mixing bowl. Pour over the dressing, toss well to combine and then transfer to a large platter or individual plates. Garnish with the remaining croutons and serve.
Click here to buy Berbere and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Tangeleno
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.