Enjoy the nutritious and refreshing veggies made special with this Pumpkin, Broccoli and Chickpea Winter Salad with Berbere Spice. Healthy is now the new sexy!
- Large piece of pumpkin, skin removed & flesh cut into even sized cubes
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- A few green beans, blanched, refreshed and dried
- A handful of finely chopped coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp Berbere Spice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar or pomegranate molasses
- ½ – 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp spice mix (from above)
- 2-3 cms piece feta cheese, crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper
- Handful of finely chopped coriander
- In a small bowl mix together the cumin, coriander, Berbere spice blend, cayenne, salt and pepper. Put the pumpkin and chickpeas in another bowl, drizzle with olive oil and add most of the spice mix saving 1 tsp to go in the dressing. Toss to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Tip the pumpkin and chickpeas onto an oven tray and place in the oven for about 30-45 mins or until the pumpkin is soft and browned.
- On a separate tray place the broccoli florets, drizzle with a little oil and sprinkle with chilli flakes if using. Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. The broccoli needs to be a little brown and still a bit crunchy to contrast with the softness and sweetness of the pumpkin.
- Place the pumpkin, broccoli and chickpeas on a platter, add the green beans and coriander. Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar or pomegranate molasses while the vegetables are still warm.
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients with a fork breaking up and mashing the feta into the yoghurt. Serve with the salad.
Click here to buy Berbere and other herbs and spices
Source: La Cigale
Photo Credit to: La Cigale