Smothered Steak and Chile Burrito
Discover the wonderful flavors bursting in every chunk of this Smothered Steak and Chile Burrito recipe. Share with your family for a great holiday experience!
- 1 lb sirloin steak, 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 anaheim or jalapeño pepper, deseeded and diced
- 8-oz red enchilada sauce
- 2 Tbsp adobo sauce from the can of peppers
- 8-oz diced green chiles, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Berbere Spice
- 4 to 6-oz sour cream
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup adobo peppers
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup Mexican cheese, shredded
- Defrost meat safely overnight in the refrigerator, in a bowl of cool water, or according to microwave settings. Once defrosted, cut steak into 1/2-inch bite size pieces, removing and discarding any unwanted fat.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the pieces of steak and chopped anaheim pepper. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring as needed to avoid sticking to the pan, until the majority of the meat is browned.
- Add enchilada sauce, adobo sauce from the can of adobo peppers, diced green chiles, chopped garlic, onion powder, salt, and Ethiopian berbere spice to the skillet. Stir to combine all ingredients and let simmer for about 4-5 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, in a blender add the other half of the diced green chiles, sour cream, chopped cilantro, and adobo peppers from the can. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and all ingredients are combined.
- In a small bowl, combine corn starch and cold water, mixing until the starch dissolves. Pour into the skillet and stir to combine. Turn the heat off and the sauce should begin to thicken slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Assemble each burrito by adding about 1/4 cup of drained and rinsed kidney beans to the bottom third section of the tortilla. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, add 1/4 cup of the steak mixture on top of the beans.
- Fold the left and right portion of the tortilla towards the middle, bring the bottom section of the tortilla up towards the middle and start to roll until you have formed a burrito.
- Place each burrito in an oven safe casserole dish. If there are any remaining beans toss them into the remaining liquid in the skillet. Pour the liquid from the skillet over the burritos, and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Garnish with crema sauce as desired.
Click here to buy Berbere and other herbs and spices
Source: Relay Foods
Photo Credit to: Relay Foods
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.