Spicy Berbere Steak with Fresh Cheese and Lemon Vinaigrette Salad
Your fave sandwich will never be this healthy with Spicy Berbere Steak with Fresh Cheese and Lemon Vinaigrette Salad! It's fresh salad & steak sandwich in one!
- 1 Tbsp Berbere Spice
- 2 cups plain Balkan yogurt (not low-fat)
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic
- 2 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 yellow onions, minced
- 1½ lb sirloin steak
- 1½ Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 slices ACE Bakery Sourdough Oval
Lemon Vinaigrette Salad
- ¼ head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 8 slices tomato, cut in half
- ¼ English cucumber, sliced
- 2½ Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring the yogurt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Boil for 4 or 5 minutes or until the curds have separated from the whey. Line a sieve with cheesecloth or a clean tea towel and carefully strain the yogurt over a bowl, gathering up the edges of the cheesecloth and squeezing out the excess liquid. This is an Ethiopian-style cheese called Ayib and it is a firm, tangy cheese with the texture of dry cottage cheese.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, onions, salt and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of Berbere Spice Mix. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and golden brown, for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, slice the steak across the grain into ¼-inch (6-mm) strips. Heat a grill pan over medium heat and cook the steak to desired doneness, about 1 minute per side for medium. Add the steak and 1½ Tbsp (22.5 mL) of the lemon juice to the spiced onion mixture, stirring to coat evenly and keep warm. Season with a little salt if desired.
- For the Lemon Vinaigrette Salad, toss together the shredded iceberg lettuce, the tomato and cucumber slices, with the lemon juice and the olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper if desired.
- To assemble the sandwiches, place 4 slices of bread on a cutting board and divide the meat among the bases. Top with Lemon Vinaigrette Salad, a few crumbles of the fresh cheese and the top slice of sourdough.
Click here to buy Berbere and other herbs and spices
Source: Ace Bakery
Photo Credit to: Ace Bakery
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.