Have a taste of Ethiopian cuisine & savor the spicy sweet flavor of this Yemisir Wot (Berbere Lentils) recipe. Lentils are low in calories & high in nutrition!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 small to medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pureed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and pureed
- 1/2 cup Berbere spice
- 1 cup dried red lentils, washed
- 3 cups water
- kosher salt, to taste
- In a large dutch oven, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, and berbere, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add in the lentils and cook for 1 minute more. Add in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 30-45 minutes until thick and the the lentils have broken down a bit. Season, to taste, with salt.
Click here to buy Berbere and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Spachethespatula