- One box (18.25 oz) dry cake mix, any brand, devil's food or dark chocolate cake mix
- 2 1/2 teaspoons USimplySeason's Chinese Five Spice Blend powder
- 1 1/3 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 3 large eggs
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine wet and dry ingredients in a large bowl, using a hand mixer or spoon to mix at medium speed for approximately two minutes, or until well-combined. Using a cupcake pan with liners, evenly distribute batter into each cavity before placing in the oven for 19 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake emerges clean. Carefully remove cupcakes from the pan and allow to cool before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- 3-4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of USimplySeason's Chinese Five Spice Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- One 8oz. package of cream cheese
- 1/4 cup of butter
Cream the wet ingredients together in a large bowl until uniform, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom to incorporate everything. Gradually add the powdered sugar, about a cup at a time, and stir well to incorporate. Mix in the ground ginger and USimplySeason's Chinese Five Spice Blend. Once the frosting is complete, spoon into a plastic zip-top bag and squeeze out the air - twist into a piping bag shape before cutting the tip of one corner off - this will make icing the cupcakes both fast and easy. Decorate the finished product with candied ginger for beautiful theme cupcakes.