Chinese Five-Spice Hanger Steak
Who doesn't love steak? This Chinese Five-Spice Hanger Steak is the perfect recipe for those intimate celebrations!
- 2 5-Ounce Hanger Steaks
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Ounces Mung Bean Sprouts
- 2 Scallions
- 1 1-Inch Piece Ginger
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Lime
- ¾ Cup Brown Rice
- 3 Ounces Snow Pea Tips
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Sesame Oil
- Prepare the ingredients. Wash and dry the fresh produce. Remove the hanger steaks from the refrigerator to bring to room temperature. Peel and mince the garlic and ginger. Thinly slice the scallions on an angle, separating the white bottoms and green tops. Peel and small dice the carrot. Using a peeler, remove the green rind of the lime, avoiding white pith; mince the peel to get 2 teaspoons of lime zest. Cut the lime into quarters.
- Cook the brown rice. In a small pot, combine the brown rice, a big pinch of salt and 1¼ cup of water. Bring to a boil on high, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer 28 to 30 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from heat and fluff the finished rice with a fork.
Cook the steak. While the rice cooks, season both sides of the hanger steaks with salt, pepper and five-spice powder. In a large pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium until hot. Add the seasoned hanger steaks and cook 5 to 7 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until they reach your desired degree of doneness. (Loosely cover the steak with aluminum foil to help the steak cook through faster.) Transfer the steak to a plate and let rest for at least 5 minutes, covering loosely with foil to keep warm. Wipe out the pan.
Cook the vegetables. In the same pan used to cook the steak, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium until hot. Add the ginger, garlic, white parts of the scallions and diced carrot. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 2 to 3 minutes, or until softened. Add the snow pea tips and bean sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes, or until slightly wilted.
- Add the rice & seasonings. Add the cooked rice, lime zest, soy sauce and sesame oil to the vegetables and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes, or until completely combined and heated through. Remove from heat and stir in the juice of 2 lime wedges.
- Slice the steak & plate your dish. Find the lines of the muscle in the steak, or the grain. Slice the steak crosswise, against the grain. Add any juices from the sliced steak to the stir-fried rice; stir to combine. Divide the rice and vegetables between 2 plates and top with the sliced steak. Garnish with the green parts of the scallions and the remaining lime wedges. Enjoy!
Click here to buy Chinese Five Spice and other herbs and spices
Source: Blue Apron
Photo Credit to: Blue Apron
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.