Chinese-Style Braised Beef One-Pot with Chinese Five Spice
Have a taste of amazing Asian flavors in this Chinese-Style Braised Beef One-Pot with Chinese Five Spice recipe. It's a must try if you like flavorful stews!
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 6 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- Good thumb-size piece fresh root ginger, peeled and shredded
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1½ kg braising beef, cut into large pieces (we used ox cheek)
- 2 tbsp plain flour, well seasoned
- 1 tsp Chinese Five spice
- 2 star anise (optional)
- 2 tsp light muscovado sugar (or use whatever you've got)
- 3 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce, plus more to serve
- 500ml beef stock (we used Knorr Touch of Taste)
- Steamed bok choi and steamed basmati rice, to serve
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large, shallow casserole. Fry the garlic, ginger, onions and chilli for 3 mins until soft and fragrant. Tip onto a plate. Toss the beef in the flour, add 1 tbsp more oil to the pan, then brown the meat in batches, adding the final tbsp oil if you need to. It should take about 5 mins to brown each batch properly.
- Add the five-spice and star anise (if using) to the pan, tip in the gingery mix, then fry for 1 min until the spices are fragrant. Add the sugar, then the beef and stir until combined. Keep the heat high, then splash in the wine or sherry, scraping up any meaty bits. Heat oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 2.
- Pour in the soy and stock (it won’t cover the meat completely), bring to a simmer, then tightly cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 1½-2 hrs, stirring the meat halfway through. The meat should be very soft, and any sinewy bits should have melted away. Season with more soy. This can now be chilled and frozen for up to 1 month.
- Nestle the cooked bok choi into the pan, then bring to the table with the basmati rice straight away and tuck in.
Click here to buy Chinese Five and other herbs and spices
Source: BBC Good Food
Photo Credit to: BBC Good Food
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.