Duck Carnitas Tacos with Chinese Five Spice
Ever heard of Duck Carnitas Tacos with Chinese Five Spice? If not yet, then go ahead and try this delicous dish and taste the cool, crunchy, spicy flavors with rich, crispy morsels of duck, simply perfect!
- 2 pounds duck legs (900g)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice (5 ml)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided (5 ml plus 2.5 ml)
- 1 white or red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1/2 a small red cabbage, finely chopped
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves (240 ml)
- 1 or 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice (60 ml)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (80 ml)
- Heat oven to 350 °F/176 °C.
- Season duck legs on both sides with five-spice powder and 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of the salt.
- In a Dutch oven or lidded baking dish that snugly fits the duck legs, combine the duck legs, onion and garlic. Squeeze the orange wedges over the duck. Add the pieces of orange to the pot.
- Cook covered until duck is very tender, which should take about 2 hours.
- Let the duck cool then shred the duck meat off the bones.
- While the duck is in the oven cooking, combine cabbage, radish, jalapeno, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Whisk together lime juice, olive oil and remaining ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt and pour over cabbage mixture. Mix well. Refrigerate while the duck finishes cooking. Taste the slaw again before serving, and add more salt as needed.
- Heat a tablespoon of the rendered duck fat in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shredded duck meat, cooking just a few minutes until crispy just around the edges. Don’t let the meat get too crispy, or it will be dry.
- Serve the duck meat and slaw on Primal tortillas or on a thin omelet. Or, ditch the idea of a tortilla completely and serve these duck tacos in a bowl as a duck carnitas salad.
Click here to buy Chinese Five Spice and other herbs and spices
Source: Mark's Daily Apple
Photo Credit to: Mark's Daily Apple
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.