Fried Apple Hand Pies with Chinese Five Spice
If you're looking for a treat, you'll never go wrong with this Fried Apple Hand Pies with Chinese Five Spice. The nice crust plus the gooey and fabulous filling will always remind us of our childhood memories.
Serves 16 pies
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons brandy (optional)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- Pinch salt
- 1¼ pounds crisp apples, peeled, cored, and cut into small diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Unroll pie dough on a lightly floured surface and roll to 14-inches in diameter. Using a round 4¼-inch cookie cutter cut dough into 8 circles. Refrigerate until ready to use. (Can be double-wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for a couple of days.)
- Whisk cornstarch, vanilla, and optional brandy in ⅓ cup of water; set aside. Mix ¼ cup of sugar and the salt; toss with apples. Heat butter in a medium (10-inch) skillet over medium-high heat until pale nutty brown. Add apple mixture; cover and cook until soft and juices release, about 7 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook until juices thicken to light syrup consistency, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Stir in cornstarch mixture; continue to cook until it thickens, less than a minute. Transfer apples to a rimmed baking sheet; refrigerate or set aside until room temperature. (Can be refrigerated in an enclosed container up for a couple of days.)
- When ready to serve, Mix remaining ½ cup of sugar with Chinese Five spice. Working eight at a time, spoon a heaping tablespoon of the filling onto the lower center of each dough circle. Then, working on at time, brush around the edge of the lower half with water. Fold upper half of dough over filling to make a turnover, and pressing on edges to seal. Repeat with remaining, to make 16 turnovers.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Working in 3 batches, drop 5 or 6 pies into the hot oil. Fry until crisp and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes turning as needed. Transfer to a wire rack, sprinkling each turnover with spiced sugar. For a more aromatic pie, lightly sprinkle each with additional spice.
Click here to buy Chinese Five spice and other herbs and spices
Source: Three Many Cooks
Photo Credit to: Three Many Cooks
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.