Maple-Gingerbread Cake with Salted Maple-Caramel Sauce & Chinese Five
If you're looking for dessert this Thanksgiving, this Maple-Gingerbread Cake with Salted Maple-Caramel Sauce and Chinese Five Spice recipe is made for you. The perfect balance of sweet, spice and salt will satisfy everyone's cravings!
- 3/4 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (preferably Grade B)
- Coarse kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger (1 1/2 to 2 ounces)
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2/3 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 1 1/3 cups chilled crème fraîche
- 1 1/3 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Salted Maple-Caramel Sauce
For maple-coated pecans:
- Place large piece of foil on work surface. Combine nuts and maple syrup in heavy medium skillet (do not use nonstick) over medium-high heat and bring to boil, tossing to coat. Cook until syrup is dark amber and almost cooked away and thickly coats nuts, tossing often, 3 to 3 1/2 minutes. Scrape nuts onto foil. Working quickly with 2 forks, separate nuts. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Cool until coating is crisp and hard, about 1 hour. DO AHEAD: Pecans can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Combine first 4 ingredients in processor; add ginger. Blend until ginger is finely ground, about 1 minute. Using mixer, beat maple sugar and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time (batter may look curdled). Stir 3/4 cup hot water and molasses in small bowl. Beat dry ingredients into butter mixture in 4 additions alternately with molasses mixture in 3 additions.
- Divide batter between prepared pans (about 21/2 cups each). Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, 30 to 32 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on racks.
- Combine crème fraîche, cream, and both sugars in large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until very thick and stiff.
- Cut around pan sides to loosen cake layers; turn out onto racks. Place 1 cake layer on platter. Spread with 1 1/3 cups frosting. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons caramel sauce. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining frosting smoothly over top and sides of cake. Drizzle top of cake with 3 tablespoons sauce. Cover with cake dome; chill at least 1 hour. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead; keep chilled. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before continuing.
- Cut pecans into pieces or leave whole. Press pecans into frosting on sides of cake. Cut cake into wedges. Spoon sauce over.
Click here to buy Chinese Five Spice and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Dan Forbes
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.