Raw Fish Salad (Yu Sheng) with Chinese Five Spice
Gormandize in this colorful and flavorful Raw Fish Salad (Yu Sheng) with Chinese Five Spice. Boost your energy and be ready for the long day ahead. Chow down!
- 100 grams / 3½ oz fresh salmon
- 16 ounces of daikon (white radish), finely shredded
- 16 ounces of carrot, finely shredded
- 1 piece red pepper (capsicum), sliced thinly
- 2cm / 1 inch fresh ginger, shredded paper thin
- 2 ounces of sweet pickled ginger, finely shredded
- 7 pieces fresh kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 4 sprigs of fresh Chinese parsley
- 2 ounces of peanuts, chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Chinese shrimp crackers for garnish (or fried dried shrimps)
- 1 tablespoon / ½ oz Chinese Five Spice
- 5 ounces of plum sauce
- ½ cup / 4 fl oz of water
- 1 tablespoon / ½ fl oz of vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon of sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon of white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- 1 piece lemon, squeezed
- Salt to taste
- In separate bowls, cover finely shredded radish and carrots with cold water and set aside.
- To make the dressing, mix the plum sauce and water together. Heat oil over low heat and add the plum sauce, sugar and salt. Cook until sugar dissolves.
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Add fish slices and mix. Mound the fish in the center of the platter.
- Rinse the carrots and daikon and squeeze out excess water. Mound each vegetable - carrot, daikon, red pepper and Chinese parsley around the fish on the platter. Then scatter the ginger and lime leaves over the fish.
- Finally, top with peanut, sesame seeds, shrimp crackers and Chines Five Spice powder. Then pour the cooled dressing over the salad.
- You are ready to toss! - Lo Hei!
Click here to buy Chinese Five and other herbs and spices
Source: Asian Food Channel
Photo Credit to: Asian Food Channel
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.