Who in the world can refuse this hearty and vibrant Star Anise-Glazed Tempeh with Stir-Fried Peppers ad Chinese Five Spice? The colors and flavors are so rich you can't help but wish it'll just pop out of your screen straight to your mouth!
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
- 8 oz tempeh, cut in half width-wise and then into eighths
- 4 tsp peanut oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 head red cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup peanuts, chopped
- Place the soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, maple syrup and five spice powder in a saucepan. Boil for 4-5 minutes, then turn off the heat and add the tempeh. Let it soak four minutes on each side. Set aside, reserving the marinade.
- Heat a wok to medium-high and add 2 tsp peanut oil. Add the tempeh and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add a few tbsp of the marinade and cook until it has evaporated and glazed the tempeh. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the wok and add 2 tsp peanut oil. Over medium-high heat, cook the garlic, ginger and scallions for 1 minute. Add the peppers and cabbage. Cook until slightly softened, but still crisp, about ten minutes. Add the remaining marinade. and cook an additional five minutes. Serve over rice.
Click here to buy Chinese Five Spice and other herbs and spices
Source: Eats Well With Others
Photo Credit to: Joanne Bruno