Who doesn't love a delightful, warmly spicy and satisfying meal? This Curried Ground Turkey with Potatoes and Garam Masala Recipe is sure to warm your hearts as well since you can always play around with the spices to satisfy the cravings of your taste buds plus, it's made for great leftovers too!
- 3-4 Tbsp vegetable oil (or ghee or coconut oil)
- 1 pound ground turkey (thigh meat if you can get it)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1-2 chopped fresh red chiles (optional)
- Salt to taste
- A 1-inch piece of peeled ginger, grated fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala spice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2-4 Roma or other plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 cup (loosely packed) chopped cilantro or parsley
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large pot with a lid. When the oil is hot, add the ground turkey, spreading it out over the pan. Try not to crowd the meat (you may need to cook in batches). Cook the meat without stirring, until it begins to brown.
- Add the chopped onion and chiles. Stir and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion begins to color a bit. Sprinkle salt over everything.
- Add the grated ginger and garlic, mix well and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in the spices (garam masala, turmeric, cumin, coriander), water, and the potatoes. Stir to combine and cover. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- When the potatoes are tender, add the diced tomatoes and peas. Mix well and cover the pot. Cook 2-3 minutes. Add salt, if needed, to taste.
- Right before you serve, mix in the chopped cilantro. Serve alone or with flatbread or white rice.
Click here to buy Garam Masala Spice and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Simply Recipes