Curried Chickpeas and Kale with Garam Masala Spice
Give yourself a healthy treat and dig in to this Curried Chickpeas and Kale with Garam Masala Spice dish. Share it with friends and loved ones for a great time.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 6 cups chopped kale (about 5-6 ounces before removing stems, 3-4 ounces chopped)
- 1/2 cup broth (divided)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons tahini (or other nut butter), optional
- Salt to taste
- Heat a medium-sized non-stick pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until they soften and begin to brown. (I do this without any liquid, but if they start to stick, add a tablespoon of water or broth.) Add the ginger, garlic, and cumin seeds, and cook for another minute or two, until the cumin becomes fragrant. Add the tomato and cook for two more minutes.
- Stir in the kale and 1/4 cup broth and cover tightly. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender but still bright green, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, remaining 1/4 cup broth, and all seasonings except garam masala. Cover and cook on low for about 10 minutes. Stir in the garam masala and tahini and add salt to taste and cook for another minute or two. Serve over whole grain, with bread, or stuffed into pitas.
- You can use spinach or another green instead of kale, but measure it by weight, not cups.
- If you would like a smoother texture, process the kale/tomato/onion mixture briefly in the food processor after step 2. Return it to the pan before adding the chickpeas and continuing the recipe.
Click here to buy Garam Masala and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Fatfreevegan
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.