Curried Rice Salad with Black Chickpeas, Mango, & Garam Masala
Delight in the rich combination of flavors in this Curried Rice Salad with Black Chickpeas, Mango, & Garam Masala recipe. Chickpeas are not only packed with plenty of nutrition, they're also delicious!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chickpea cooking broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups cooked black chickpeas, regular chickpeas, or well-drained black beans
- 4 cups cooked brown basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala spice, or to taste
- 1/4 cup minced parsley or cilantro
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- Lime juice, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds or toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Heat a large, non-stick pot or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown. If necessary, add a splash of water or vegetable broth to prevent sticking, but not a lot. When it begins to brown, add the garlic and cumin seeds and stir for a minute. Reduce heat to medium, add the tomato and next 5 ingredients, and cook until the tomato softens and begins to break down.
- Add a quarter cup of the chickpea cooking liquid (or vegetable broth), the chickpeas, and the brown rice. Stir well, and if the mixture seems dry, add a little more broth. Cover and cook on low for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garam masala and remove from heat. Transfer to a large serving bowl and add parsley and mango. Season to taste with fresh lime juice and salt. Sprinkle with almonds or pine nuts.
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold. Letting it chill overnight improves flavor.
Click here to buy Garam Masala and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Fatfreevegan
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.