Shakshuka with Harissa Spice
Looking for an exciting dish to satisfy your food palate? Have a taste of this mouth-watering dish originating from North Africa. A healthy dish of eggs poached in a tasty sauce of tomatoes, pepper, onion, with a spicy aromatic touch of harissa spice.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp harissa
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes (or whole plum tomatoes chopped in the food processor)
- 5 eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cilantro & parsley for garnish
- Optional: fresh baked bread or pita for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a cast iron pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add onions and bell pepper and cook until onions have softened and become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add paprika, sugar, harissa, and tomato paste and toss to combine. Add tomatoes and stir.
- Let simmer until tomatoes begin to thicken and liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Create nests in the tomato stew for the eggs and crack an egg into each nest.
- Transfer cast iron to the oven and bake until eggs are set, about 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and parsley.
- Optional: Serve with fresh baked bread or pita for dunking
Click here to buy Harissa Spice, and other herbs and spices
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.