Curried Eggplant, Lentil, and Quinoa Burgers with Harissa
These Curried Eggplant, Lentil, and Quinoa Burgers with Harissa are lightly curry-flavored but not spicy which makes it flexible since you can just adjust it to your preference. So call your family and friends and prepare the weekend vegan picnic!
- 1 large eggplant
- 3/4 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/2 small onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Harissa spice
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (spicy or mild)
- 2 teaspoons potato starch, cornstarch, or arrowroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar (or other sweetener)
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Remove the top of the eggplant and cut it in half lengthwise. Place it cut-sides down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicon baking mat. Bake for 25 minutes or until the eggplant is completely sunken in and tender. Remove to a shallow dish and allow to cool completely. (You can do this even several days in advance and store in a covered container in the refrigerator.)
- Once the eggplant is cool, discard any liquid that has accumulated and scrape the flesh from the peel. Place the pulp in a food processor and pulse a few times to make a coarse puree. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix very well and allow to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot, wipe or spray it with a little pan spray or canola oil. Wet your hands and form eggplant mixture into patties about 3 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. (You can also form the burgers by spooning the mixture into the pan and using the back of a spoon to shape it into patties.) Cook three or four at a time until lightly browned and then carefully flip over and brown the other side. Remove with a spatula and place each burger on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until burgers are cooked through.
- Serve with traditional hamburger condiments or with Spicy Onion-Pepper Relish.
Click here to buy Harissa Spice and other herbs and spices
Source: FatFree Vegan
Photo Credit to: FatFree Vegan
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.