Fall in love with the spicy tangy flavor of this Grilled Chicken Drumsticks with Spicy Garlic Harissa Marinade. You'll certainly make this a favorite dish!
- 15 garlic cloves, peeled, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp Harissa spice
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1½ tsp sumac
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 large limes or lemons, juice of
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 20 large chicken drumsticks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- To make the garlic-harissa marinade, in a food processor, blend the chopped garlic, harissa paste, nutmeg, sumac, thyme, lime juice and olive oil.
- Pat the chicken drumsticks dry and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Now apply the garlic-harissa marinade to the chicken drumsticks, particularly underneath the skin. Do not discard the remaining marinade.
- Place the chicken drumsticks with the sliced onions in a large jumbo kitchen bag with a seal. Pour the extra marinade on top. Seal the bag shut and massage the contents so that the chicken is well covered in the garlic-harissa marinade.
- Refrigerate for four hours or overnight.
- When ready, heat an outdoor grill to medium. Grill the drumsticks on medium heat, covered, for 35-40 minutes or until well done. As they grill, turn the drumsticks every 7-8 minutes.
- Serve with an easy mezze platter like this one. Or sides like fattoush salad; kidney bean and cilantro salad; roasted red pepper hummus.
- If you choose to substitute Harissa with a different chili spice blend, select one that does not have sweet undertones. You want to go spicy-tangy for this recipe.
- And of course, if you prefer a less spicy drumstick, go ahead and reduce the amount of Harissa or chili to your taste.
Click here to buy Harissa and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Themediterraneandish