Make your breakfast a delightful start of your day with this Pete's Baked Eggs with Paleo Beef Sausages & Chermoula Dressing recipe. It's healthily delicious!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, duck fat, tallow or other good quality fat
- 500 g Cleaver’s organic beef sausage, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch kale leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 X 400 g whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, plus extra for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Harissa spice, to taste
- 4 organic free-range eggs
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
Chermoula (Makes 250 ML)
- 1 large handful chopped coriander
- 1 large handful chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large handful chopped mint
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small red chilli, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 125 ml olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut in frying pan over medium heat. Add the sausages, and cook until browned on all sides (3 – 4 minutes). Transfer the sausages to a plate lined with a paper towel, and discard the oil from the pan (do not rinse out the pan).
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and the onion to the pan. Sauté the onion over medium heat for 2 minutes or until the onions start to soften, then add the garlic, paprika and cumin and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add kale and cook, stirring, until leaves brighten in color and begin to wilt. Return the sausages to the pan, then add the whole peeled tomatoes and harissa, and season with salt and pepper. Allow the sauce to simmer over a medium-low heat for 15 minutes to slightly thicken the sauce and allow the flavors to develop.
- Spoon 2 large spoon fulls of the sausage mix into 4 shallow, ovenproof baking dishes (approx. 310 ml), then add 2 cherry tomato halves in each dish. Make a small well in the center and break in an egg into the hole. Bake for 5 – 8 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the oven.
- Drizzle some chermoula over the baked eggs, then sprinkle with chopped coriander and smoked paprika. Serve immediately with a tablespoon of fermented vegetable on the side for each serve.
- Mix the herbs, garlic, spices, chilli and lemon juice in a food processor. Whilst the motor is running, drizzle in the oil and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. The chermoula will last for 3–4 days in the fridge.
Click here to buy Harissa and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Cleaversorganic