Raw Coconut, Orange and Date Bars with Himalayan Pink Salt
Raw Coconut, Orange and Date Bars with Himalayan Pink Salt is a delightfully dense and chewy treat. This paleo dessert is just as easy as 123, you can make it every day!
Serves16 square barsIngredients:for the base:
for the topping:
- 12 large (7 oz) medjool dates
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 oz coconut butter, melted
- zest of 1 large orange
- juice 1/2 large orange
- 3 oz coconut butter
- juice 1/2 large orange
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp just boiled water
- rounded 1/2 tsp coarse Himalayan pink salt
- Line a 8×8 inch tin with parchment paper.
- Make the base: Soak the dates in hot water for 10 minutes. Discard the stones and put the dates into a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade. Add the remaining base ingredients and blitz for about 25 seconds until the mixture has come together. Tip into the prepared tin and press down with your fingers until it is flat and even.
- Make the topping: Because heating orange juice with the coconut butter leaves it partial to seizing up and splitting, melt the mixture in what’s known as a bain marie, or water bath.
- Choose a small heatproof bowl and a pan over which the bowl fits nice and snugly. Quarter fill the pan with water and bring up to a gentle simmer. Put the coconut butter, coconut oil and orange juice into the bowl and sit it on top of the pan, making sure the bottom doesn’t touch the water. Using a small whisk or wooden spoon, stir the coconut butter mixture until it has melted. Add the just boiled water and whisk until the mixture is smooth and glossy. You will notice the water brightens the colour and gives it a good coating consistency. Remove from the heat, wiping the bottom of the bowl and allow it to cool down for a minute or two. Next, pour the mixture over the base and, with the help of an angled palette knife, spread it evenly over the top. Place into the refrigerator for 10 minutes or so until it is starting to set, sprinkle over the salt and put back into the refrigerator for at least an hour to harden completely. Slice into 16 squares.
Note: The coconut topping will soften at room temperature so store the cut bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator – for up to a week. As if!
Click here to buy Himalayan Pink Salt and other herbs and spices
Source: Healing Family Eats
Photo Credit to: Mastercook
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.