Barbequed Piri Piri Pumpkin and Halloumi Skewers
Enjoy summer and the outdoors with this Barbequed Piri Piri Pumpkin and Halloumi Skewers recipe. It's effortlessly delicious!
Serves 12 skewers
- Piri Piri Spice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs smoky paprika
- 3 tbs apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp dark brown sugar
- 750g (1 lb) piece of pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 250g (9 oz) halloumi cheese (or eggplant, zucchini or firm tofu), cubed
- small bunch of fresh mint and basil leaves, shredded
- lemon wedges to serve
- 12 bamboo skewers
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/356°F and if cooking the skewers on a barbeque. Be sure to pre-soak them.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium/low heat, add the chopped chillies, garlic, paprika, vinegar and sugar. Gently simmer over a low heat for about 5 minutes until the sauce has reduced and caramelized slightly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool before processing in a food processor until smooth.
- Steam the pumpkin pieces for 3-4 minutes only until a skewer inserted just easily slides through. You don’t want to over steam the pieces and turn them to mush so watch them carefully.
- Toss the steamed and cooled pumpkin pieces with the halloumi or other vegetable or tofu in piri piri sauce until well coated. Thread alternating pieces of pumpkin and hallouim onto the skewers and set aside.
- Heat a small amount of vegetable oil on a barbeque grill plate or in a stove top grill pan. Cook the skewers over a medium heat turning until golden on all sides.
- Remove from the heat and serve scattered with the fresh herbs, lemon wedges and the sweet couscous salad.
Click here to buy Piri Piri and other herbs and spices
Source: Veggie Num Num
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.