Portuguese Kimchi with Piri Piri Spice
Savor the unique flavorful twist on your kimchi in this Portuguese Kimchi with Piri Piri Spice recipe. You'll certainly want to add this to your favorites!
- 2 quarts kale, chopped
- 1 Cup tomato paste
- 1 Cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons ground black pepepr
- 2 Tablespoons Piri Piri spice
- 1 Teaspoon sugar
- 15 cloves garlic
- Place all of the ingredients together in a non-reactive mixing bowl. Mix everything together and rest for 2 hours at room temperature, stirring every 30 minutes or so.
- When the mixture is wilted significantly and the flavors are melded together, place in a glass mason jar with 2 to 3 inches of room at the top. Fit the top with a layer of cheese cloth and a rubber band so no insects can enter but the product has plenty of access to fresh oxygen. Place the jar in a cool dark place and ferment for at least 7 and up to 10 days. Stir carefully now and then to ensure good bacteria growth. If any sort of mold grows on it discard and begin again.
- Once the initial time frame has passed, place in the refrigerator and rest another 7 to 10 days. Now you have a “mother” that you can grow more by feeding it the ingredients above and following the same directions. When the seasons change and you have a very strong kimchi, you can feed it various things from that season and watch your kimchi evolve.
- To make garlic confit, peel the garlic and cook covered with oil over low heat for 45 to 60 minutes.
Click here to buy Piri Piri and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Thedailymeal
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.