Sumac Spiced Butterfly Chicken
by Christine Tura
on April 20, 2016
Who wouldn't be into roasted chicken when it is sweet, salty, sour, spicy, fragrant and easier to cook because it's butterflied? Experience this sumptuous and luxurious dish to a whole new level with Sumac Spiced Butterfly Chicken.
- 1 chicken about 1.8kg
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 large garlic cloves crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons sumac spice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon cut in wedges
- ½ cup of picked flat parsley leaves
- ¼ cup of pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Butterfly the chicken by cutting out the backbone and flattening the bird, make 3 deep cuts in each breast and two in each thigh. In a large Multix freezer bag mix the crushed garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, roasted spices, salt and pepper then add the chicken. Remove as much air as possible, seal the bag, then massage the marinade all over the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or even overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C or BBQ to medium high. Line a baking tray with Multix bake. Remove the chicken from the freezer bag, place it on the tray, press the chicken flat and tuck in the wings and legs. Run 2 skewers though the thighs to hold the chicken flat while it’s cooking. If cooking in an oven roast the chicken for about 40-45 minutes until cooked through and golden brown. If cooking in a barbecue cook with the hood down turning occasionally for about 30 -35 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with extra lemon wedges, hummus, warmed flat bread and a Greek style salad.
Click here to buy Sumac spice blend and other herbs and spices
Source: The Clever Cook