Za'atar Chicken and Freekeh with Date Yogurt
by Michael Variacion
on March 21, 2016
Love Chicken? Might want to add this chicken recipe to your list. The Za'atar chicken and freekeh with date yogurt is easy and simple to prepare. Added with Za'atar spice, a Middle Eastern spice blend, will surely bring a unique and mouth-watering twist to how you see chicken!
Serves 3 - 4
- 1 essential lemon, quartered
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1½ tbsp essential olive oil
- 6 chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tsp za'atar
- ½ tsp ground cumin, plus a pinch more
- 2 gem lettuces, quartered lengthways
- 2 pitted medjool dates, chopped
- 4 tbsp low fat Greek yogurt
- 250g pack ready-cooked freekeh
- 100g cavolo nero, finely shredded
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC, gas mark 7. Finely slice 1 lemon quarter; toss with the onions on a large baking tray. Toss 1 tbsp oil with the chicken, zaatar, ½ tsp cumin and juice of 2 lemon quarters; season and lay over the onions. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over a high heat. Toss the lettuce with the remaining ½ tbsp oil, season and sear on each side for a minute; set aside. Blitz the dates, yogurt, pinch of cumin and the juice of the final lemon quarter in a small food processor or NutriBullet until smooth; season and set aside.
- After 25 minutes, remove the chicken from the tray and set aside on a plate to rest. Toss the freekeh and cavolo nero through the onions and return to the oven for a final 5 minutes. Serve topped with the chicken, date yogurt and charred gem lettuce.
Click here to buy Za'atar spice blend and other herbs and spices
Check here for the YouTube Instructional Video by Waitrose