Vadouvan-Spiced Parsnip Soup with Homemade Croutons & Greek Yogurt
by Christine Tura
on March 24, 2016
Savor a delighting warm hearty Parsnip Soup bursting with a flavorful hint of Vadouvan spice. This special dish blends traditional Indian and French curry spices to delight your experience. With croutons and Greek yogurt in harmony with the mild warm soup, you'll surely love this dish!
- 1 Small Baguette
- ½ Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Bunch Collard Greens
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 Lemon
- ¾ Pound Parsnip
- 3 Tablespoons Golden Raisins
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- ¼ Cup Parsnip Soup Spice Blend (All-Purpose Flour, Vadouvan Spice, Ground Cumin & Ground Turmeric)
Prepare the ingredients: Wash and dry the fresh produce. Medium dice the baguette. Peel the parsnip; quarter lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise. Peel and small dice the sweet potato and onion. Remove and discard the collard green stems; roughly chop the leaves. Quarter and deseed the lemon.
- Make the croutons: In a large, high-sided pan (or pot), heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the baguette; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 4 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
- Start the soup: In the pan used to make the croutons, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the parsnip, sweet potato and onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned.
- Add the tomato paste & spices: Add the tomato paste and spice blend to the pan; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 1 to 2 minutes, or until thoroughly combined and fragrant.
- Finish the soup: Add the collard greens, raisins and 4 cups of water to the pan; season with salt and pepper. Heat to boiling on high. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes, or until thoroughly combined and the liquid is slightly reduced in volume. Turn off the heat and stir in the juice of 2 lemon wedges; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Season the yogurt & serve your dish: While the soup simmers, place the yogurt in a bowl; season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the juice of the remaining lemon wedges. Divide the finished soup between 2 bowls. Top with the croutons and seasoned yogurt. Enjoy!
Click here to buy Vadouvan Spice, and other herbs and spices