Baked Za'atar Eggplant Fries with Lemon Tahini Dip
by Michael Variacion
on September 21, 2017
Make afternoon snacks more exciting with this easy and delicious Baked Za'atar Eggplant Fries with Lemon Tahini Dip recipe from the Kitchn!
For the fries:
For the dip:
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Zaatar spice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Flaky salt (like Maldon), to finish
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Zaatar spice
- 2-4 tablespoons water, to thin.
- To make the eggplant fries, preheat the oven to 425°F. Wedge a wire rack atop a baking sheet (so the fries will be slightly elevated and not directly touching the baking sheet).
- Cut the eggplant into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Then cut each round into 1/2-inch thick spears. Set aside.
- Pour the flour into a small bowl. Beat the eggs together in another small bowl. In a third small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, za'atar, salt and cayenne.
- Roll the eggplant spears in the flour, dunk them in the egg, and then roll them into the bread crumb mixture. Lay each spear close to one another on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the tops with flaky salt.
- While the fries are baking, combine all the ingredients for the dip except the water in a small bowl. To thin, add a drizzle of water and stir vigorously until you reach the desired consistency.
- Serve the fries with the dipping sauce while the fries are still hot.
Click here to buy Zaatar and other herbs and spices
Source: The Kitchn
Photo Credit to: The Kitchn