Doro Wat (Ethiopian Spiced Chicken)
by Sylvia Kapsandoy
on January 14, 2022
Anxious to try this superstar spice seasoning for yourself? Here is a fun and easy recipe to get you started:
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. USImplySeason Berbere, plus more as needed
- 4 Bone-In, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 4 whole hard-boiled eggs
- Basmati Rice or Injera (Ethiopian Flatbread)
How to make...
- Heat butter in a large straight-sided skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until deeply caramelized, about 25 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until softened, 6–8 minutes.
- Add USimplySeason Berbere and 2 cups water; stir well. Season the chicken all over with salt; nestle the pieces in the skillet. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, turning occasionally until chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- Uncover skillet and raise heat to medium-high; simmer to reduce the liquid until it has a thick, gravy-like consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs; stir to warm through. Taste and season with more berbere and salt, if necessary.
- Serve hot with the injera or rice.