Manaaeesh Flatbread with Za'atar Spice
by Christine Tura
on July 19, 2016
Have a tasty bite of this delicious treat in this Manaaeesh Flatbread with Za'atar Spice recipe. A very palatable appetizer for you and your guests to enjoy!
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water - 110 degrees F (43 degrees C)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup Za'atar spice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Mix yeast with warm water in a large mixing bowl and allow to stand until a creamy layer of foam appears, about 10 minutes. Whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil, then gradually stir in flour and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth and just a little bit sticky, 10 to 12 minutes. Place dough into an oiled bowl and turn dough around in bowl to coat surface with oil; cover bowl and refrigerate dough overnight. (Dough should double in size.)
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking sheet generously with 2 tablespoons olive oil; place dough in the center of the baking sheet and flatten into a thick disk. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let double in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Use your palms and fingers to gently press and stretch dough to the edges of the oiled baking sheet, making the flatbread as even in thickness as you can. With fingertips, make small indentations in the dough. Brush dough with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Stir za'atar and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt together in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over the flatbread. Let dough rest for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake flatbread in the preheated oven until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- A stand mixer can be easily used to mix and knead the dough.
Click here to buy Za'atar spice blend and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Chowhound