Excite your palate with irresistible flavors in this Roasted Chickpea Salad with Za'atar recipe on Thanksgiving. It's not only delicious, it's healthy too!
- One 14-ounce can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Zaatar spice
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mint, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 250° F.
- In a bowl, mix chickpeas with 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, then add the salt, za’atar, black pepper, lemon juice, and zest. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour the canola oil into a deep-sided pan and heat it to 350° F. Fry the shallots until red and crunchy, then transfer them to a paper towel to drain.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a sauté pan over high heat. Add in the garlic, stir, then add the carrot, fennel, and red cabbage. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat and add the roasted chickpeas, mint, raisins, and maple syrup. Mix well. Add feta cheese, if desired. Taste and add more vinegar, lemon, or salt if needed. Garnish with fried shallots.
Click here to buy Za'atar spice blend and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: James Ransom