Give your holiday a boost with this Za'atar and Pomegranate Molasses Roasted Duck. Its delectable flavors that you just irresistible you'll surely love it too!
- 2 (5 to 5 1/2 pound) ducks
- 6 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
The Spice Paste
- 1/4 cup Za'atar Spice
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- zest of 1 large orange (or 2 small clementines or mandarins)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- several grinds pepper
- 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
- juice of 1 orange (or the 2 smaller varieties)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
Simmer the Duck (from Ina Garten's Roasted Duck)
- Unwrap the ducks and allow them to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. With a fork, prick the skin without piercing the meat. This will allow the fat to drain off while the ducks cook.
- Meanwhile, in a very large stock pot which can hold the 2 ducks, heat the chicken broth with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt until it boils. Add the ducks very carefully and bring the stock back to a boil. If there isn't enough stock to cover the ducks, add the hottest tap water to cover. If the ducks float to the top, place a plate on top to keep them immersed. When the stock comes back to a boil, lower the heat and simmer the ducks in the stock for 45 minutes.
- When the ducks are finished simmering, skim off enough duck fat from the top of the stock to pour a film on the bottom of a 14 by 18 by 3-inch roasting pan. This will keep the ducks from sticking when they roast. Carefully take the ducks out of the stock, holding them over the pot to drain.
- Place them in the roasting pan, pat the skin dry with paper towels, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and the pepper. If you have time, allow the ducks to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the skin to dry.
Roast the Duck
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees (450 convection). Combine ingredients for the spice paste in one prep bowl, and the ingredients for the glaze in another bowl.
- When ducks are simmered and thoroughly dried, rub them all over with the spice paste. Place them in the roasting pan(s), and into the hot oven.
- After about 10 minutes, brush the ducks all over with the glaze. Be generous. Repeat every 8 to 10 minutes until your desired internal temperature is reached.
- Remove from the oven. Brush on any remaining glaze. Cover with foil for about 15-20 minutes before serving to allow the ducks to absorb all the juices.
Click here to buy Za'atar spice blend and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: BeyondMereSustenance