Sticky Honey Soy Baked Chicken with Sesame Spice
Spoil your taste buds with a flavor-rich Asian dish in this Sticky Honey Soy Baked Chicken with Sesame Spice. Share with your family for a great dinner time!
- 6 bone in, skin on chicken thighs, about 2 lb/1kg
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or ordinary white vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp Sesame spice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F (fan forced) or 200C/390F for conventional.
- Line a baking dish with foil then baking paper. The baking tray should fit the chicken comfortably, not too spaced apart (glaze will dry out), not too snug (glaze won't thicken enough). (Note 2)
- Mix the Glaze ingredients together.
- Place onion and chicken in the baking dish skin side down, then pour the Glaze over.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then turn and bake for a further 25 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the glaze is sticky. If the glaze is not syrupy, remove the chicken onto a plate and put the pan back in for a few minutes.
- Tilt baking dish and spoon out excess fat. Turn chicken skin side down and squidge around in the glaze to coat it.
- Serve with rice and steamed greens, sprinkled with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro/coriander leaves.
- This recipe requires ordinary, all purpose soy sauce. Not light or dark or sweet soy sauce (check the label, if it has any of these words on it, it's not suited to this recipe!). I use Kikkoman soy sauce.
- It is safer to make this in a smaller rather than large pan, then if the Glaze hasn't reduced enough at the end, take the chicken out and put the pan back in the oven, it should thicken very quickly. Then return the chicken to the pan and roll in the Glaze.
- This works very well with skinless boneless chicken thigh fillets. It doesn't work as well with drumsticks because their shape restricts the ability to coat into the Glaze, and also they aren't as juicy as thigh so the glaze dries out too much.
- This recipe doesn't make stacks of sauce, which is the way it is supposed to be because it is quite strong in flavour. It reduces to a jammy sticky glaze, enough to coat the chicken. That's all you need!
Click here to buy Sesame and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Recipetineats
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.