Sesame Tofu with Spinach and Rice Noodles in Ginger Broth
Reward yourself with a nice warm bowl of goodness in this Sesame Tofu with Spinach and Rice Noodles in Ginger Broth recipe. Enjoy rich flavors in every sip!
- 1 block (14-ounce) firm or extra-firm tofu
- 3/4 cup soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos, divided
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar plus 2 tablespoons
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 piece fresh ginger (2-inch), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, 4 smashed with a knife, two minced
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons Sesame spice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 bag (10-ounce) baby spinach
- 4 ounces brown rice noodles, prepared per package directions
- 4 scallions, white and light green part only, thinly sliced diagonally
- shredded carrots
- Cut the tofu into four even squares widthwise, then cut diagonally into eight triangles. Place on paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Place another layer of towels over the tofu. Place a baking sheet over the tofu, then weight it down with books or a cast-iron skillet. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Combine 1/4 cup soy sauce and 2 tablespoons rice vinegar in a shallow pan. Place the tofu triangles in the marinade for 20 minutes, turning once.
- Meanwhile, combine vegetable broth, remaining soy sauce, remaining rice vinegar, ginger, 4 cloves smashed garlic and chili garlic sauce in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes.
- Combine sesame spice and seeds and black pepper on a plate. Drain tofu but do not pat dry (the marinade helps the sesame seeds stick). Dredge in seed mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add the baby spinach and minced garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes or until JUST wilted. Transfer to a plate and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Add remaining oil, reduce heat to medium and add tofu pieces. Cook 1-2 minutes per side, being careful not to burn the seeds.
- Divide cooked noodles equally among four bowls. Strain the broth into the four bowls over noodles. Divide spinach equally, top with two tofu pieces per bowl. Garnish with green onions and carrots. Serve immediately.
- To make gluten-free: Use wheat-free tamari, gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos.
Click here to buy Sesame and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Fromachefskitchen
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.