Spice up your vegan recipes with spice blends like Sumac. Check this quick and easy-to-prepare Lentil and Asparagus Salad with Egg and Sumac!
- 250 gm Persian red lentils (see note)
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp sumac, plus extra to serve (optional)
- ¾ cup each flat-leaf parsley and mint
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 50 gm almonds, coarsely chopped
- 150 gm Persian feta, coarsely crumbled
- Cook lentils in a saucepan of unsalted boiling water until just tender (10-12 minutes), drain, refresh, drain well and place in a large bowl. Combine onion, garlic and lemon juice in a bowl and stand until onion softens (5 minutes). Stir in oil, vinegar and sumac, add to lentils with herbs, and toss to combine.
- Blanch asparagus until just tender (1-2 minutes), refresh, drain and set aside. Cook eggs in a saucepan of boiling water until soft-boiled (7 minutes), cool under cold running water, then peel and halve. Top lentil salad with asparagus and eggs, season to taste and serve scattered with almonds, feta and sumac.
Note: Persian red lentils are available from select delicatessens; if they're unavailable, substitute small green lentils.
See video instruction below
Video Credit to Australian Gourmet Traveller
Click here to buy Sumac spice blend and other herbs and spices
Source: Australian Gourmet Traveller