Give in to this delectably tempting Baked Shrimp Stew in a Mediterranean Chunky Tomato Sauce with Sumac recipe. Go ahead and satisfy your shrimp cravings!
Serves 4 to 6
- 2½ lb prawns, peeled, deviened, rinsed well and dried
- olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped (about two cups)
- 5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp Sumac spice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, more to taste
- ½ tsp ground green cardamom
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup parsley leaves, stems removed
- ⅓ cup toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- Lemon or lime wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and saute the prawns very briefly until they are barely pink. Remove the prawns and set aside.
- In the same pan, now add more olive oil and saute the chopped onions, garlic and red bell peppers on medium-high for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly. Now add the canned diced tomatoes and water. Let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid reduces.
- Reduce the heat to medium and return shrimp to the pan. Stir in the spices, then the toasted pine nuts, sesame seeds and parsley leaves. Make sure everything is well combined.
- Transfer everything to an oven-safe earthenware or stoneware dish and cover tightly with foil. Place in the oven to bake for 7 minutes. Uncover and broil very briefly.
- Serve hot with your favorite bread, rice, freekeh or even quinoa. Add a side of lime or lemon wedges.
- This recipe is inspired by The Gaza Kitchen's Zibdiyit Gambari.
Click here to buy Sumac spice blend and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Themediterraneandish