Brussels Sprouts, Apple and Pomegranate Salad
This crunchy, bright abundantly November-ish Brussels Sprouts, Apple and Pomegranate Salad is perfect for Thanksgiving any other celebration. Your guests will love this refreshingly flavorful treat!
Serves 4 to 6
- 1/2 large red onion, diced small
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Sumac spice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to season salad
- 2 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (from about 1/2 a large one)
- 1/2 a large unpeeled apple, cored and diced
- Juice of half a lemon, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons honey, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup toasted, cooled walnuts, lightly crushed or coarsely chopped
- Ground chipotle chile pepper, urfa biber peppers, hot smoked paprika or another chile flake, to taste
- Make the sumac-pickled onions: Combine red onion, wine vinegar, sumac and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a small dish and set aside while you prepare the other ingredients, or ideally at least 15 minutes.
- Combine all salad ingredients, including red onions and their pickling liquid, in a medium bowl and season to taste with salt and red pepper. Taste and adjust ingredients as desired — I’ve seen versions of the recipe with more honey, olive oil and lemon; I didn’t need them but you might find you do.
- This salad can be prepped ahead, but I’d keep the dressing off of it until at most an hour before serving so it doesn’t discolor the sprouts
Click here to buy Sumac and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: SmittenKitchen
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.