Surround your palate with the wonderful smoky flavor & meaty goodness of this Char-grilled Beef with Fennel and Sumac Vegetable recipe this Holiday season.
- 1 bunch baby beetroot, scrubbed
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1 (450g) mini red cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1 large red onion, halved, cut into thick wedges
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Sumac Spice
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, roughly crushed
- 500g piece thick beef rump steak, trimmed
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Trim beetroot, leaving 2cm stem attached. Reserve any small beetroot leaves. Cut beetroot in half. Trim radishes, leaving 2cm stem attached. Cut in half. Arrange cabbage, beetroot, radish and onion on prepared tray in a single layer.
- Combine oil, salt, sugar, sumac and fennel seeds in a small bowl. Drizzle over vegetables on tray. Roast for 30 minutes, turning vegetables halfway through, or until beetroot is tender.
- Heat a greased barbecue grill or chargrill pan on medium-high heat. Season steak with salt and pepper. Cook steak for 3 minutes each side for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 5 minutes to rest.
- Slice steak. Place on a serving plate with roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with beetroot leaves. Serve with mashed potato.
Click here to buy Sumac spice blend and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Guy Bailey