Delight friends and families with a taste of the Middle East with this easy-to-cook Grilled Chicken with Sumac from Taste!
- 2kg whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoon sumac
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- Baba ghanoush, to serve
- Tabouli, to serve
- Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Place chicken, breast-side down, on a large chopping board. Using sharp kitchen scissors, cut along each side of the backbone and remove. Turn chicken over. Using the heel of your hand, press down firmly on the breast bone until bone breaks. Place chicken in a baking dish.
- Combine oil, garlic, sumac, lemon rind and lemon juice in a bowl. Rub mixture over chicken. Cover. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, if time permits.
- Spray a barbecue plate or chargrill with oil. Heat over medium heat. Cook chicken, covered, for 30 minutes each side or until cooked through (see note). Cut chicken into large pieces. Sprinkle with coriander. Serve with tabouleh and baba ghanoush.
Photo Credit to: Taste