It's high time to try this healthy and delicious rice substitute in this Low-Carb Cauliflower Rice with Fried Onions and Sumac. It's definitely a must-try!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1/2 large head cauliflower, chopped in food processor or grated by hand so the texture resembles rice
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Sumac for seasoning
- Chop onion into very small dice. Heat olive oil in small but heavy frying pan, add onion, turn heat to medium and let onions cook while you prep the cauliflower. Be sure to watch and turn onions a few times so they don't burn.
- While onions cook, cut a large head of cauliflower in half. Remove leaves and most of the core from the half you're using, then cut into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Put in food processor fitted with steel blade and gently pulse until cauliflower has a texture somewhat similar to rice. I like to leave it a bit more chunky rather than finely chopped, so consider the texture you'd like when you're eating it and pulse to that point. (The cauliflower can also be grated on the large side of a hand grater or grated using the tube on a food processor)
- When onions are nicely browned (about 8-10 minutes) add the cauliflower, season generously with salt and fresh ground black pepper, and turn heat to medium high. Let cauliflower cook, turning often, until it's lightly browned and cooked to your liking. I prefer a slight bite to the cauliflower, and cooked it about 4 1/2 minutes.
- Put cauliflower on plate, sprinkling with Sumac or other seasonings of your choice. This is great served under stir-fries, curries, stews, or other vegetables. Serve hot.
Click here to buy Sumac spice blend and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Kalynskitchen