Sumac Chicken with Bread Salad
If turkey is too big for a small gathering, then try this Sumac Chicken with Bread Salad instead. Sumac gives a tart, lemony flavor and a deep rose color to this chicken recipe making it worthy of seconds and thirds!
- 1 (3- to 3-1/2-pound) whole chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground Sumac
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to coat the baking dish
- 2 medium red onions (about 1 pound), thinly sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- 12 ounces dense bread (such as farm bread or pane de casa), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces Kirby cucumbers (about 3 medium), quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 12 ounces ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus more as needed
- Cut the backbone out of the chicken with kitchen shears and discard the bone. Using the palm of your hand, press down on the chicken to flatten it. Season both sides generously with salt and pepper. Combine the sumac and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a small bowl and rub the mixture all over both sides of the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a large plate or dish and refrigerate it uncovered for about 8 hours. (If you haven’t planned ahead, just leave the seasoned chicken on the counter while you prepare the onions and bread.)
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onions, season with salt, and cook, stirring often, until softened and just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges, about 9 minutes. Add the garlic and parsley, stir to combine, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, add the bread, and toss to evenly combine; set aside.
- Coat a baking dish with olive oil (make sure the dish is large enough to hold the bread in a single layer). Scrape in the bread mixture and arrange it evenly; reserve the bowl (no need to wash it). Set the chicken on top of the bread and roast until a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 165°F and the juices run clear, about 1 hour.
- Set the chicken on a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place the cucumbers and tomatoes in a medium bowl and season with a pinch of salt; set aside. Scrape the bread into the reserved bowl and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cucumbers, tomato, and measured lemon juice to the bread and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and add more lemon juice if desired. Pile the salad onto a platter. Cut the chicken into quarters and arrange it around the salad.
Click here to buy Sumac Spice and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Chowhound
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.