Wanna add some twists and spicy kicks to your regular meatball recipe? Why not go for this Cauliflower-Stuffed Meatball with Tabil and Harissa in Spicy Tomato Sauce instead and experience the tantalizing blend of high-quality ingredients that wake up and shake up the palate!
Serves 4 to 6
For the meatballs:
- 6 cups olive oil or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 medium-sized head cauliflower (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, lamb, or veal
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tabil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs beaten
- All-purpose unbleached flour, as needed, for dredging
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons harissa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red chili
For the meatballs:
- Preheat frying oil in a deep-fryer or 8-inch deep saucepan to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil and cook the whole cauliflower until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well and break into small florets.
- Place the meat, onion, cinnamon, parsley, tabil, salt, and pepper in a food processor, in batches if necessary, and process until well blended. Remove to a bowl.
- Have a bowl of water handy to keep your hands wet while making meatballs. Meatballs are formed by flattening a lemon-sized portion of meat into a thin patty and wrapping the patty around a cauliflower floret to completely enclose. Form into an oval shape, then dip into the eggs and dredge in flour, tapping off any excess flour.
- Cook the meatballs in oil until golden, about 4 minutes, without crowding the fryer. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper toweling to drain.
For the sauce:
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Dissolve the tomato paste in the water, and add to the pan along with harissa and ground red chili. Add the meatballs and cook covered until most of the liquid evaporates, about 25 minutes. Add a little water to rehydrate sauce if it is dries out before that time. Serve meatballs covered with sauce.
Click here to buy Tabil and Harissa Spices, and other herbs and spices
Source: Food Network