Tabil Spiced Tunisian Burgers with Citrus-Mint Aioli and Spicy Pepper Apricot Relish
Time to hit the grill and help yourself with this delicious Tabil Spiced Tunisian Burgers with Citrus-Mint Aioli and Spicy Pepper Apricot Relish Recipe. Bite into the tender smoky goodness of this meaty burger with an amazingly flavorful spice blend.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Tabil Spice
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 small garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup slightly crushed sliced almonds
- 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 Â½ tablespoon orange blossom honey
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated Meyer lemon zest (or if unavailable lemon zest)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped mint leaves
Spicy Pepper Apricot Relish:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cup thinly sliced fired roasted peppers (from a jar and drained)
- 1/4 cup stemmed, thinly sliced peperoncini
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon Roasted Saigon Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons spicy chili pepper paste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Vegetable oil for brushing on grill:
- 6 multi-grain Kaiser rolls or any good quality crusty multi-grain rolls, split
- 2 cups arugula, washed and rinsed
- Preheat a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat.
- To make the patties: Using a mortar and pestle, smash garlic cloves until a paste is made. In a large bowl, combine tabil spice, ground chuck, garlic paste, salt, and red pepper flakes. Handling the meat as little as possible, mix the ingredients until combined. Divide the beef mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into equal sized patties to fit the buns. Dividing equally, sprinkle almonds over both sides of patties, press down gently so that almonds adhere to surface of patty. Place patties on a plate or tray; cover. Refrigerate or place in a cooler near grill.
- To make citrus-mint aioli: In a medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, honey, orange zest, lemon zest, and mint leaves. Stir until combined. Cover; set aside.
- To make spicy pepper apricot relish: In a medium heavy duty saucepan with a lid, heat olive oil over medium-high heat on grill (or grill side burner if available). When oil is hot, add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes, or until fragrant and onions are slightly caramelized. Reduce heat to medium or move to a cooler part of the grill. Stir in roasted peppers, peperoncini, dried apricots, apricot preserves, salt, turmeric, cinnamon, and chile pepper paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, or until well heated through. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. When grill is hot, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack; cover the grill. Cook, turning once, about 4-6 minutes on each side for medium, or until desired doneness. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the breads, cut sides down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- To assemble the burgers: Spread citrus-mint aioli over cut sides of each bottom bun. Top with arugula, a patty, and spicy pepper apricot relish. Close with top buns. Serve immediately.
Click here to buy Tabil Spice and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Pixabay
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.