Let your taste buds get excited with this palatable, vegetarian dish. Japanese Togarashi Spiced Eggplant is a wonderful way to eat your eggplant. The Togarashi spice blend makes the dish more flavorful and spicy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large Japanese eggplants, cut crosswise 1 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- Togarashi Spice (pepper for sprinkling)
- Lightly sprinkle the eggplants on both sides with togarashi.
- In a very large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons each of the canola and sesame oils until shimmering.
- Add the eggplant and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, 4 minutes.
- Brush the eggplant with the remaining canola and sesame oil.
- Turn and cook until deeply browned on the bottom and tender.
- Add the mirin and soy sauce to the skillet.
- Turn the eggplant and cook until glazed, 1 minute; transfer to a platter, sprinkle with more togarashi and serve.
Click here to buy Togarashi Spice, and other herbs and spices