Craving for Japanese food? Ditch the take-out and prepare your own Japanese food with this easy-to-cook 7 Spice Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl!
Prep time 20 mins Cook time 20 mins Total time 40 mins
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 4 pieces)
- kosher salt
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Togarashi spice
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice or brown rice
- 1 carrot , thinly shaved
- 4-6 green onions, thinly shaved
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Rinse the chicken in water and pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken lightly with kosher salt and set aside.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar and miring to a small sauce pan. Mix the cornstarch in the water and add to the sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Add the rice vinegar and Japanese 7 spice and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Spray a grill pan with cooking spray and bring to medium high heat. Add the chicken thighs but don't crowd the pan. Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side. Baste each side of the chicken with the 7 spice teriyaki sauce and cook for an additional 2 minutes each side. Remove from the pan, lightly tent with foil and rest for 3-5 minutes. Repeat with the other chicken thighs if needed.
- To prepare the bowls, spoon rice into the bottom of the bowl then layer with shredded carrot, shredded green onion and edamame. Slice or chop the chicken thighs and place on top then drizzle with the 7 spice teriyaki sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Click here to buy Togarashi Spice and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: foodiecrush