Post Thanksgiving meal couldn't get even better with this Flash-Fried Rice with Fried Egg and Togarashi. This quick and easy Japanese-style version with an egg on top is the best alternative to fried rice. Dig in!
- 2 tbs rice bran oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 cup trimmed, sliced snow peas
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbs light soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (50g) roasted unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced on an angle, plus extra shredded to serve
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbs Togarashi
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs oil and stir-fry garlic, chilli and ginger for 15 seconds or until fragrant. Add the snow peas and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add rice and stir-fry for 1 minute or until heated through. Add sugar, fish and soy sauces, peanuts and thinly sliced spring onion, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove pan from heat, cover and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tbs oil in a separate fry pan over medium-high heat. Break eggs into pan and fry until cooked to your liking.
- Divide rice among 4 bowls, top with an egg and sprinkle each with 1 tsp togarashi. Scatter with coriander and shredded spring onion.
Click here to buy Togarashi Spice and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Jeremy Simons